This property now known as Spring Lakes Farm has enjoyed a long and dynamic past and has experienced several changes in character. The original deed was granted to homesteader, Charles Wood in 1894. With the initial timber boom, a small logging operation was located on the south property line near Indian Creek. The property was then developed as a large dairy farm and residence. The property title has changed hands a number of times since the original deed was issued. What follows is information obtained from the Clallam County Historical Society:
The original patent holder on the land was WOOD, CHARLES A. issued on 10/23/1894 (Township and range coordinates 30 and 19)
The original farmhouse (still a residence) was built in 1922. The property was cleared and a small timber mill (E. ANDERSON yard, mill/camp) was located on the southern edge of the property. Remnants of this activity are still found on or near this site on the property.
HARVEY ANDERSON purchased the property from WOOD, CHARLES A. and had a dairy operation (original barn/milking parlor still stands on property), then ran beef cattle. Anderson also kept the property in hay, to provide fodder. Remnants of the original perimeter fencing are still found on the property (open grazing, there is no evidence the pastures were cross-fenced – no posts or barbed wire).
A hydroponics facility, with a very large footprint, stood where the greenhouse and hoop house are now. The site of the hydroponics facility was leased from the owners (PETERSON) but the roof collapsed under a heavy snow.
Current agricultural activities include a small (beef) cow/calf operation, with sales of live calves and breeding stock, and direct to consumer fresh vegetables. Fresh eggs are sold off site to local restaurants.
USDA Conservation Reserve Enhancement Programs, identified by the acronym CREP, provides the link between rural land ownership and responsible conservation. Program goals are designed to restore and improve streamside habitat for salmon, through establishing native trees and shrubs to improve riparian conditions and enhance wetlands along salmon streams.
Conservation Reserve Enhancement Programs provide a valuable opportunity for stewardship. For more information about CREP programs and their potential benefit click this link.
This property has been accepted into the CREP Program(s) and native species of trees and shrubs along the forest-riparian zone (near Indian Creek), around the wetlands and farm irrigation ditches have been planted. These USDA programs are administered locally through the Clallam County Conservation District. Participating in CREP programs will generate a modest income in land rent but more importantly, protects natural resources while supporting the landowners interests, helping to maintain our unique Pacific Northwest lifestyle.
The property is enrolled in:
- Riparian-Forest Buffer Program (along Indian Creek)
- Hedgerow Program (along the farm irrigation ditches)
- Wetlands Restoration Program (along wetland margins)
The current owners participate in and support stewardship and conservation programs with the farm as the centerpiece of those programs
They also host and support field studies on natural wildlife (i.e. migratory bird count, etc.)